German cuisine is becoming more and more international: sushi, cous-cous, börek and paella may have come from foreign countries, but have long since made their way into German households. Would you like to try really exotic cuisine? Then think of sun, palm trees, desert and beach: Africa. The African cuisine is varied, healthy and very tasty. And best of all: All ingredients are also available in retail stores in Germany.
Refined ingredients and yet simple preparation characterize the African cuisine. A lot of vegetables combined with exotic spices ensure a healthy and unique taste. Due to the influence of numerous colonies and cultures, the South African cuisine is particularly versatile, low in fat, easily digestible and therefore so popular.
In the following we present you various African snacks that you can easily cook with our recipes yourself:
- Bobotie, the South African Minced Casserole: Mix 1 kg of ground beef, 2 chopped onions, 2 teaspoons apricot jam, 1 dash of lemon juice, 2 teaspoons chutney, raisins and curry powder and fry everything in a pan. Put into a dish, whisk 3 eggs with 220 ml of milk, pour over the mixture, place 3 halved bananas over it. Bake at 180 ° C for about 40 to 50 minutes in the oven.
- The South African rice salad is easy to do: Mix 250g boiled rice, 1 red & 1 green chopped pepper, 1 small chopped onion and 50g soaked raisins in a bowl and add 1/2 cup of yogurt and mayonnaise each. Refine this salad with fresh lemon balm.
- The peri-peri prawns are perfect on the spit: prepare the Peri-Peri sauce typical of South Africa with 2 chili peppers, 1 piece of fresh ginger, 1 clove of garlic and 4 tablespoons each of oil and lemon juice. Puree the ingredients in the blender. Pull about 1 kg of raw king prawns in peri-peri sauce for 15 to 45 minutes. The longer the sharper. Put the prawns on skewers and fry them in the pan or on the grill from both sides.
Savory horseshoe bread - Original African recipe
Spicy horseshoe bread can be either vegetarian or meat-filled.
And this is how the spicy horseshoe bread is prepared:
- Mix 500 g of flour, 1 sachet of baking powder and a pinch of salt with 30 g of small pieces of butter.
- Knead the dough with 125 ml of water and milk each time.
- For the vegetarian filling are 250 g of sliced cheese, 1 tomato, 2 pickles, 6 olives, 1 pepper, 1 clove garlic and 1 small onion. Chop the ingredients and mix with cumin, turmeric and cilantro.
- Roll out the dough about 1.5 cm thick to create a rectangle.
- Spread the filling on the dough and roll everything up.
- Make a horseshoe out of it and sprinkle it with cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 210 ° C.
African sophistication: avocado salad
The avocado salad should not be missed. The sauce is prepared with a chopped hard-boiled egg, chopped red onion, 1 teaspoon salt, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons vinegar and 100 ml olive oil.
Slice 4 tomatoes and 3 avocados for the salad and arrange with some iceberg lettuce. Serve with the sauce and some black pepper.
Healthy exotic refreshment
The refreshing ginger cocktail not only for hot days: Peel 500 g of fresh ginger and mix it with 50 g of fresh peppermint. Put 2 liters of water in a bowl and stir in the ginger-peppermint mixture.
Squeeze out a pineapple, 4 oranges and 2 lemons and stir it under the mixture. Season with 300 g of sugar and serve ice-cold.
For dessert, banana tartlets are a must. Puree 6 ripe bananas. Dissolve ¼ cup of sugar in ¼ cup of warm water and mix with 1 cup of flour, some nutmeg and the banana puree. Bake small amounts of the batter in hot sunflower oil.